Nearly 400,000 students and advisors join SkillsUSA annually, organized into more than 18,000 sections and 53 state and territorial associations. In 2017, more than 19,500 teachers and school administrators served as professional SkillsUSA members and advisors. Combining alumni membership, the total number reached annually is over 394,000. SkillsUSA has served more than 14 million members since its founding in 1965. In 2019, we had 2785 members in 87 chapters across the state. Due to covid our numbers dropped by half in 2020, but we are on the increase again with 1,955 members in 91 chapters in 2021.
SkillsUSA is a student-led and advisor-facilitated organization. The student should work the hardest in accomplishing student and chapter goals. To develop the employability and technical skills needed in the workplace, students must do the leading, planning and the implementation work. The advisor serves as a supervisor to guide and provide feedback when needed, to keep the students safe and to reinforce the transferable skills for the student’s success. The student does the work and is able to unpack any failures for growth and celebrate successes. Learning by doing is the key. There may be a few mistakes along the way, but better for the students to learn from the projects and work they do than to do it perfectly the first time.
Please make sure that you submit SkillsUSA membership prior to state deadlines. Nebraska’s deadline is right around the middle of February.. These deadlines determine eligibility for running for office, serving as a voting delegate or being a leadership or skill contestant at the state or national level. Don’t let a single student lose out on a life-changing opportunity because of a missed deadline. The official membership year runs from Aug. 1 through July 31.
• Minimum of 5 student members to start a chapter
- High School, Middle School and College/Postsecondary Membership Kits are available. Click the Guide to the left.
- Early registration deadline is November 15th
- National membership is due February 14th and must be paid by March 2nd
- Membership state dues are reviewed by the Board of Directors on an annual basis.
- Student membership dues are $16 ($8 for state; $8 for nationals)
- Professional membership dues are $28 ($8 for state; $20 for nationals)
- For help with registration watch the video or Click here for membership registration instructions. Or here for the Quick Start Guide.
- For the training programs, pick 1-3 programs that best describe your situation and register your students/advisers under those programs. You can either “restore” members from last year or click on “add member”. If you have more than one training program, make sure to only pick one to register yourself under as membership type “Professional”. If you need have more than 100 members, please contact Greg for instructions on how to upload your membership file.
Questions about starting a chapter? Questions about registering members?
Call the SkillsUSA Membership Hotline Toll Free: 844-875-4557
Teachers/Advisers we are here to help! Our hotline operators are ready to answer your questions on how to start a new chapter, engage chapter members and/or strengthen your existing chapter — you name it, we are ready to tackle it!
Operators are on call from 7 a.m.–4 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday and from 10 a.m.–6 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. Don’t have time to call? Send us an email at [email protected] or chat with us online at our membership registration site! If you have specific questions about a events, alumni, or want to see our staff directory please visit our contact page.